Diwali is not complete without traditional sweets. Besan Ladoo is one of the most traditional sweet dishes made. A simple dish with healthy ingredients makes it perfect for the kids.
– Besan ( Chickpea flour): 2 cups
– Semolina: 2 tablespoons
– Sugar powder: 1 cup
– Ghee: 1/2 cup
– Cardamom powder: 1/4 teaspoon
– Water: 2 tablespoons
– Pista finely chopped ( optional)
– Dry rose petals (optional)
– Heat the skillet on a low flame. Add ghee to it and let it start bubbling and melt completely.
– Add besan and semolina and mix it well. Roast it till the raw smell of the besan is completely gone and the color turns dark. This will take 6 to 8 mins. The consistency will be a little soft.
– Add water bit by bit and mix till it evaporates. Adding water brings out bubbles which makes the ladoo more light and airy.
– Transfer the mixture to a plate.
– Let it cool down to a temperature that you can handle.
– Add cardamom powder, pista and rose petals. Add powdered sugar bit by bit while mixing it well. Sugar should mix well and completely.
– Take this mixture in your hand and start making the ladoo by pressing it hard. If the mixture is dry and breaking then add a little bit more of melted ghee.
TIP: Garnish it with pistachios and rose petals. Let it air dry for a couple of hours and then store it in an airtight box.