Black rice is one of the healthiest variety of Rice, packed with the wide array of Nutrients. Black rice has a unique earthy flavor when cooked. It is more fibrous and takes more time than a regular rice to cook. This medium-size heirloom rice is treasured for its delicious roasted nutty taste, soft texture. Extremely high in a class of flavonoid antioxidants called anthocyanin. When cooked it gives out a beautiful purple color, which makes it perfect for presentation. Black rice Kheer is one of my favorite dishes as it is more creamy, flavourful and healthier.
Time: 45 minutes – 1 hour Serves: 2-4 people
– Black Rice: 1 cup
– Whole Milk: – 4 cups
– Fresh Grated Coconut: 1/4 cup
– Condensed Milk: 1/4 cup
– Cardamom Powder: 1 pinch
– Rose Petals for Garnishing
– Almond slices for Garnishing
– Wash the black rice well. Do not rub it too much. Soak it for 2 minutes and wash it gently. Do not worry if the color bleeds.
– In KitchenAid Cookware boil the rice with 4 cups of water. Cover it and boil it on low flame till the rice is soft. This will take atlas 45 minutes.
– Add milk and cook further till the rice is really soft and the mixture starts turning creamy. When you mash the rice with your fingers, it should break easily. Make sure you use the correct quantity. I used the KitchenAid measuring cups
– Add condensed milk and mash the kheer gently using a masher. This will give the kheer a creamy and thick consistency.
– Add grated coconut and further cook it for 5 to 10 minutes.
– Serve it hot with freshly grated coconut, almonds and rose petals as garnish.
Tip: When cooled the kheer will thicken. Add more milk to loosen it up and warm it up again before serving. You can serve it chilled as well.
Recipe by: Madhuri Aggarwal, KitchenAid Culinary Council Member, Food Photographer / Food Stylist