I call this cake a breakfast cake because it is healthy- it uses whole wheat, it has fruits and oats and very little oil. Who said you can’t have cake for breakfast?
Time: 20 minutes preparation time + 50 minutes baking time
Serves: 6-8 slices
INGREDIENTS: For Crumb Topping
– Whole wheat flour: 1/2 cup
– Traditional oats: 1/2 cup
– Cinnamon: 1/4 teaspoon
– Vegetable oil: 2 tablespoons
– Honey: 2 tablespoons
– Almonds (finely chopped): 1/4 cup
INGREDIENTS: For the Cake
– Whole wheat flour: 1 cup
– Baking powder: 1 teaspoon
– Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
– Ground cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
– Eggs (large): 2
– Vegetable oil: 1/4 cup
– Castor sugar: 2/3 cup
– Pure vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
– Yogurt: 1/2 cup
– Fruits (chopped): 1 + 1/2 cup
METHOD: To make crumb topping
– Combine all the ingredients until it forms a coarse mixture and refrigerate it.
– Preheat your oven to 180C and prepare a round cake tin.
METHOD: For the Cake
– In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
– Combine eggs and oil using KitchenAid 7 Speed Hand Mixer.
– Add vanilla and sugar and beat well.
– Alternatively, add dry mixture and yogurt to the wet ingredients.
– Fold in the chopped fruits. Reserve some for the top. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
– Make another layer of sliced fruits on the top. Cover with the crumb topping.
– Bake for 40-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean