I love using my iron skillet. I feel like anything made in a skillet just tends to taste amazing. This brown butter almond cake looks basic but is actually a burst of some very interesting flavors.
Time taken: 20 minutes (prep time) + 30-40 minutes (baking time)
– Butter: 100 gm
– Castor sugar: 1 cup
– Egg: 1 no.
– Maida: 1 cup
– Baking powder: 2 teaspoons
– Cinnamon powder: 1 teaspoon
– Nutmeg: 1/4 teaspoon
– Ginger (grated): 1/4 teaspoon
– Salt ( skip if you’re using salted butter): 1 teaspoon
– Milk: 1/4 cup
– Ground almonds: 1/4 cup
– Whipped cream and fresh fruit, to top
– Pre-heat your oven to 180C.
– On a pan set over medium heat, cook butter until it melts and becomes brown. Be careful to not burn it.
– In a large bowl, using the KitchenAid 7 Speed Hand Mixer, beat sugar and butter.
– Add egg and beat well.
– Add milk and beat until well combined.
– Beat in maida, cinnamon powder, baking powder, nutmeg and ginger. Mix only until well combined.
– Fold in the ground almonds.
– Transfer into a skillet and bake for 30-40 minutes.
– Bake until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
– Top with whipped cream and fresh fruit.