Heavenly cream wrapped in crispy cannoli shells, what could be better?
Cannoli are Sicilian pastry desserts. The singular is cannolo, meaning “little tube”, with the etymology stemming from the Arabic “Qanawat”. Cannoli originated in Sicily and are a staple of Sicilian cuisine.
– Flour: 4 cups
– Sugar: 2 tablespoon
– Salt: 1/4 teaspoon
– Butter (softened): 3 tablespoon
– Egg Yolks: 2 no.
– White Wine: 3/4 cup
– Canola Oil: for frying
> Ricotta Cheese: 4 cups
> Powdered Sugar: 1.5 cups
> Vanilla Extract: 1 tablespoon
> Maraschino Cherry (chopped): 1/3 cup
> Chocolate Chips (Semi-sweet): 1/4 cup
> Whipping Cream (optional): 1 cup
TO MAKE SHELLS:
– In the KitchenAid Stand Mixer mix together flour, sugar and salt using the flat beater. Start with No. 2
– Cut in the butter. Add the Egg yolk and mix at No. 2. Now stir in the wine 1 tbsp at a time.
– Once the dough starts clinging on, stop and remove.
– Form a ball and let it stand for 30 minutes.
– Take the Pasta Roller attachment and fix it to the Attachment hub.
– Flatten the dough and roll it paper thin (like Pasta) starting with No. 1 and moving to No. 5.
– Make sure to dust the surface well with flour each time before passing it through the roller.
– Once paper thin, put the dough on a well floured surface and cut out circles (3 – 4 inches diameter).
– Roll each circle of dough around a metal tube, overlapping the ends and press to seal. Flare out the edges slightly.
– Heat oil/shortening in a pan and deep fry the cannoli tubes till all the sides brown out evenly.
– Remove and drain on kitchen towels with seam side down.
– Allow to cool and remove the cannoli tubes.
– Drain the Riccotta cheese if ricotta is watery.
– Combine the Ricotta cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in the Stand mixer using a flat beater at speed 2.
– Squeeze Maraschino Cherries with paper towels to remove all liquid.
– Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries into the ricotta mixture.
– For a lighter filling, you may whip 1 cup of whipping cream to form stiff peaks and fold into the filling mixture at this minute.
– Refrigerate and chill for about 30 minutes.
– Pipe the mixture into the cooled cannoli shells.
– Garnish the Cannoli by sprinkling powdered sugar on top.
Alternatively, melt some chocolate and dip the Cannoli edge in the chocolate and refrigerate. Allow the chocolate to set and then use the cannoli shells.