I’ve never used Chickpea Flour or Besan in brownies or cakes before. But we’ve been trying to eat healthier, and substitute the usual All Purpose Flour (Maida) with healthier alternatives. When I took upon this challenge to come up with recipes using Besan, brownies are the first thing that come to mind.
They don’t need to rise as much as regular cake does and I actually prefer them really fudgy. I’ll admit, I was a little nervous at first, wondering if brownies made with besan will actually work or not. But I was amazed at the results. These are hands down the best brownies I’ve ever made and I think Besan makes them extra fudgy and chocolatey, which is just how a brownie should be! Next time I want to try and substitute sugar with maybe honey or palm sugar which is less processed but till then, these chickpea brownies work just fine!
Time: 10 minutes (prep time) + 35 minutes (cook time)
Serves: 9 Brownies
– Butter: 2/3 cup
– Dark Chocolate: 1/2 cup
– Eggs: 3 large
– Sugar: 3/4 cup
– Salt: 1/2 teaspoon
– Vanilla Extract: 1 teaspoon
– Cocoa Powder: 4 tablespoons
– Chickpea Flour (Besan): 3/4 cup
– Instant Coffee Powder: 1 teaspoon
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F/ 175 C.
– Grease a 8X8 inch square tin with butter.
– In a microwave safe bowl, add butter and dark chocolate and microwave for 30 seconds to a minute till the chocolate starts melting.
– Whisk together with your Utility Whisk till combined and set aside to cool.
– In your KitchenAid Stand Mixer, beat together eggs and sugar for 2-3 minutes at speed 2-3, till creamy.
– Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla extract and whisk again in your Stand Mixer at speed 3 for about 3 to 4 minutes.
– Sift in salt, cocoa powder, besan, and coffee powder and fold into the wet mixture.
– Pour the brownie batter into the greased tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.
– Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.