Don’t have a springform pan? No problem.
Feel a bit intimidated by baking but want to bake something anyway? This is just the recipe for you!
I like to think of this as an ‘anyone can make it’ cake. Plus, it’s the perfect cake for a smaller gathering! It’s the sort of reliable recipe that will NEVER fail you. An easy cake + ganache + fresh strawberries = the best formula.
You’ll probably already have the ingredients for this simple sake in your pantry. It’s time to line everything up… baking is much easier when you keep everything you need, lined up. It took me absolutely no time to whisk up this batter in the KitchenAid Stand Mixer. I find it best to use the whisk attachment for this particular cake. And while our cake bakes, we make the ganache. That gives the ganache plenty of time to cool and reveal its true self. I’m being a bit dramatic, I really mean texture! Chocolate and strawberries always make for a great combination and you’ll see that in this recipe that allows the strawberries to shine.
Time – 60 minutes Serves – 4
INGREDIENTS: For the Cake
– Water (lukewarm): ½ cup
– Cocoa powder (unsweetened): 30 gms
– All-purpose flour: 90 gms
– Caster sugar: 80 gms
– Baking soda: ½ teaspoon
– Salt: ½ teaspoon
– Flavorless oil like canola or sunflower oil: 50 gms
– Vanilla extract: ½ tablespoon
– White vinegar: 1 teaspoon
INGREDIENTS: For the Ganache
– 45 % dark chocolate (chopped): 100 gms
– 25% fat cream: 50 gms
– Salt: tiny pinch
INGREDIENTS: For Garnish
– Strawberries (sliced): 6 to 8
– Icing sugar to dust
– Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees celsius
– Brush the inside of a 9″ x2″ Round Pan with oil and line it with parchment paper.
– Dissolve the cocoa powder in the half cup of warm water and set aside.
– In the bowl of the Stand Mixer, using the whisk attachment, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
– Add the cocoa powder-water mixture, oil and vanilla extract to the Stand Mixer and mix until combined. Add the vinegar and whisk till combined. Pour the batter
– Pour the batter in prepared Round Pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the batter comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before inverting it out and peeling off the parchment paper.
– While the cake is baking, make the ganache by melting the chocolate only slightly and in a short burst in a heatproof bowl in the microwave. Heat the cream in a small saucepan, only till it starts to steam (not boil). Rake it off the heat immediately and pour over the chocolate.
– Let it sit for 10 seconds and then sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt over it and whisk to completely combine it. Let it rest till the cake has completely cooled and then spread over the cooled cake.
– Place the sliced strawberries on the cake and dust with icing sugar and serve.
Recipe by: Tarika Singh, KitchenAid Culinary Council Member, Blog Name: To The T