Chef Mandakini Gupta is the pastry chef and owner at Smitten Bakery and Patisserie, New Delhi. She shares her recipe: CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH HAZELNUT FROSTING
Time Taken: 30 minutes Serves: 6 – 8 slices
INGREDIENTS: For cupcakes
– Flour: 75 gms
– Castor Sugar: 85 gms
– Cocoa: 25 gms
– Baking powder: 1/4 teaspoon
– Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
– Salt to taste
– Egg: ½
– Milk: 70 gms
– Water: 70 gms
– Oil: 30 gms
INGREDIENTS: For hazelnut frosting
– Heavy Cream: 200 gms
– Butter: 30 gms
– Hazelnut praline paste or Nutella: 40 – 50 gms
– 54-65% chocolate (can use higher percentage up to 70% if you want a more bitter frosting): 130 gms
METHOD: For cupcakes
– Preheat oven to 180C.
– Sift all the dry ingredients.
– Whisk to combine all wet ingredients in the KitchenAid Stand Mixers.
– Combine gently with a whisk till all the lumps are dissolved.
– Bake for about 20 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
METHOD: For frosting
– Measure everything except the cream in a steel bowl.
– Warm the cream on the gas on medium, stir often.
– Just when the cream barely begins to boil, pour into the bowl with chocolate, butter and hazelnut paste.
– Let it cool in the fridge for at least an hour and a half or until very cold to the touch.
– Pour into your KitchenAid Stand Mixer, with the whisk attachment whisk until it is thick and stiff. Do not over beat otherwise the frosting will split. Keep a close watch while whisking.
– Either pipe onto the cooled cupcakes or spread with a palette knife.