We were given Banana, Milk Chocolate, Almonds, Honey and Vanilla Bean, in the mystery box challenge of India’s First KitchenAid Probaker 2015. We had to use one or more ingredients from the box.
I had a recipe in mind that I quickly altered to the given ingredients. I chose Almonds, milk chocolate from the mystery box along with the basic ingredients that was provided to all of us.
I was going to make a Chocolate Roulade, with milk chocolate ganache and Almond Praline filling.
Time taken: 1-hour preparation + 12 minutes baking
Serves: 4 – 6 people
INGREDIENTS: For the cake
– Egg whites and yolks separated: 4 nos.
– Sugar: 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
– Butter (melted): 60 gms
– All purpose flour: 1/2 cup
– Cocoa powder: 1/4 cup
INGREDIENTS: For the Ganache
– Milk Chocolate – 110 gms
– Fresh Cream – 1/4 cup
INGREDIENTS: For the Praline
– Granulated Sugar – 1 cup
– Almonds – 1/4 cup
METHOD: For the Praline
– Take sugar in the KitchenAid Saucepan. Let the sugar be flat and not heaped. Place the saucepan on a low flame. Do not stir.
– The edges of the sugar will start melting. Just swirl the saucepan holding the handle. Do not stir.
– Let the sugar melt. It will start caramelising. Keep swirling and not mixing. Once 1/2 of the sugar is melted, using a spoon give it a mix. Let the sugar melt and turn light gold. Once the sugar starts getting darker, add the almonds give it a quick mix and pour it over a greaseproof paper and spread it really quick as it will set in seconds. Let this cool completely.
– Once completely cooled, crack it using a hammer. Save few bigger pieces for topping. Crush the rest in a mortar pestle to small chunks. Put this into the chopper of the cordless hand blender and make a coarse powder. Set it aside.
METHOD: For the Cake
– Preheat the oven to 180C
– Grease and line the Jelly Roll Pan with a parchment sheet.
– In a large glass bowl, sieve together flour and cocoa powder and set aside
– In a large bowl take the all the egg whites, start whisking it using the Whisk Attachment of the KitchenAid 7 Speed Hand Mixer.
– As you start seeing small bubbles, gradually add half the sugar and Beat till the egg whites form a firm peak and look silk. Do not over beat it.
– In a small bowl beat together egg yolk and the remaining sugar using a fork. Now, Add this egg yolk mixture to the egg white mixture and fold it lightly and mix well.
– Once mixed well, add the flour and cocoa powder mixture and melted butter alternately and mix it well till it form a nice smooth batter.
– Pour this batter into the prepared tray and spread it evenly. Tap it to even out the surface and bake it for 8 minutes.
– In the meantime, cut a baking paper the size of the baking tray and keep it ready to turn on the cake as soon as it is out of the oven. As soon as the cake is out of the oven, dust it generously with cocoa powder. Place the baking paper on the cake and turn the cake upside down.
– Immediately peel the parchment paper. Again dust this side with cocoa powder and spread a muslin cloth on top and flip the cake over. Now you should have the muslin cloth at the bottom and baking paper on top. Remove the baking paper and trim the longer edges of the cake. If you do not trim it, the cake will crack when you roll it.
– Place the baking paper back, and start rolling the cake tight along with the muslin cloth. Let the muslin cloth and the baking paper be rolled along with the cake. Make a tight log.
– Leave the cake to cool rolled in the muslin cloth.
METHOD: For the Ganache
– Warm the cream and chopped milk chocolate together till it is smooth and silky. Let it cool.
– Unroll the cake gently and remove the baking paper.
– Spread the Chocolate Ganache evenly leaving 1 cm border.
– Sprinkle the Praline evenly.
– Roll back the cake and leave the muslin cloth out.
– Place the roll on the serving plate. Pipe some ganache on top. and generously top it with praline chunks.