Swiss Roll, the most amazing, classy looking cake. This cake looks beautiful when served on the table and will surely be a show stopper. This cake requires a little practice in the beginning, but once you know how it works, It is very simple and easy to make this. Do try it out this Valentines Day and impress your loved one.
INGREDIENTS: For the cake
- Egg wites and yolks separated: 4 nos.
- Sugar: 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
- Butter (melted): 60gms
- All purpose flour: 1/2 cup
- Cocoa powder: 1/4 cup
For the filling
- Dark Chocolate: 110 gms
- Fresh cream: 1/4 cup
- Strawberries (finely chopped): 4/5 nos.
Strawberries and mint leaves for topping
METHOD: For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and line the Jelly Roll Pan with a parchment sheet.
- In a large glass bowl, sieve together flour and cocoa powder and set aside
- In a large bowl ,take all the egg whites.
- Start whisking it using the whisk attachment of the hand mixer.
- As you start seeing small bubbles, gradually add half the sugar.
- Bit till the egg whites form a firm peak and look silk. Do not over beat it
- In a small bowl beat together egg yolk and the remaining sugar using a fork.
- Add this egg yolk mixture to the egg white mixture and fold it lightly and mix well.
- Once mixed well, add the flour and cocoa powder mixture and melted butter alternately and mix it well till it form a nice smooth batter.
- Pour this batter into the prepared tray and spread it evenly.
- Tap it to even out the surface and bake it for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut a baking paper the size of the baking tray and keep it ready to turn on the cake as soon as it is out of the oven.
- As soon as the cake it out of the oven, dust it generously with cocoa powder. Place the baking paper on the cake and turn the cake upside down.
- Immediately peel the parchment paper. Again dust this side with cocoa powder and spread a muslin cloth on top.
- Flip the cake over. Now you should have the muslin cloth at the bottom and tracing paper on top.
- Remove the baking paper and trim the longer edges of the cake. If you do not trim it, the cake will crack when you roll it.
- Place the baking paper back, and start rolling the cake tight along with the muslin cloth. Let the muslin cloth and the baking paper be rolled along with the cake. Make a tight log.
- Leave the cake to cool rolled in the muslin cloth.
METHOD: For the filling
- Warm the cream and chopped dark chocolate together till it is smooth and silky.
- Chop the strawberries.
- Unroll the cake gently and remove the baking paper.
- Spread the Chocolate Ganache evenly leaving 1 cm boarder.
- Roll back the cake. This time leave the muslin cloth out.
- Place the roll on the serving plate. Pipe some ganache on top. and generously top it with strawberries or any berries and mint leaves.