Chocolate Truffle Tartlets
Makes 6, 5-inch tartlets
For the pastry dough/tart shell:
– 1 Cup all purpose flour (maida)
– 60g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
– ¼ Cup ice cold water
For the chocolate filling:
– 90g semi sweet chocolate
– 50g butter
– 4 tablespoon castor sugar
– 1 large egg
– ¼ cup heavy cream
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– To make the crust, sift flour and salt in a bowl. Mix in chilled butter and run KitchenAid Stand Mixer using the Dough Hook Attachment until the dough resembles coarse breadcrumbs. – Now adding a tsp of water at a time bind the dough together. Do not add all the water at a time, this might make dough soft. We need firm, smooth dough.
– Once dough comes together do not knead it too much, else butter will start melting.
– Wrap the dough with cling foil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling, this can be done one or two days before as well.
– While preparing filling, keep the dough at room temperature.
– Preheat the oven at 180 degree celsius. Grease a 9 inch pie dish with oil or butter.
– Divide the crust dough into 6 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a ½ inch thick and 5 inch round on a lightly dusted floured surface.
– Line your mini tart dishes with the pastry, trim of the excess dough from the edges, prick the centre with a fork and put in fridge for 10 – 15 minutes.
– After 15 minutes line tart shells with foil paper, fill with dry beans/pie weights. Bake the pastry for 20 minutes. Once baked set aside to cool down.
– To prepare the filling,chop chocolate using KitchenAid blender chopping attachment.
– With KitchenAid blender whisk attachment whip the cream to soft peaks and set aside.
– In a double boiler melt chocolate and butter, stirring frequently until smooth.
– Add sugar and vanilla, stir until sugar is dissolved.
– With KitchenAid whisk attachment beat egg and cream until combined.
– Add spoonful of warm chocolate mixture into egg and cream, stir nicely.
– Now add egg mixture into melted chocolate and keep on stirring until all combined well.
– Pour warm chocolate filling into cooled tart shells. Bake at 180 degree celsius for 20 minutes or until filling is set but center still jiggles.
– Cool on a wire rack and chill for about 3 – 4 hours in refrigerator.
– Serve with fresh berries and whipped cream.
About the author
Hina Gujral blogs at Fun, Food and Frolic. She was a financial analyst with a MBA degree up her sleeves until she realized food is where her calling lay. She is based in Bangalore and loves gardening, reading and running behind her pug – Momo. Follow Hina’s food adventures here: www.funfoodandfrolic.blogspot.in