They are moist & light on the inside and crispy on the outside. Our Chef of The Fortnight, Tresa CJ, Owner at Tia’s Bakehouse shares a must try Churros Recipe.
- 1/2 cup of Water
– 1/2 cup of Milk
– 1 cup of Flour
– 4 Tablespoon of Butter
– 4 Eggs
– 1 Tablespoon of Granulated Sugar
– ½ teaspoon of Salt
– 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
– Vegetable Oil for frying
– ½ cup of Castor Sugar for coating
– 1 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- In a large pan heat sufficient oil for deep frying over medium heat.
- In a large saucepan, add the water, milk, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt and bring to a boil. Take the pan off the heat and add quickly bear in the flour. Bring the pan back over the heart and stir constantly until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Cook this mixture for about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, over low heat.
- Toss the dough into the bowl of your KitchenAid® Stand Mixer and beat on high with the paddle attachment until the bowl is no longer warm to the touch from outside. If you do not have a stand mixer, use a hand mixer, wooden spoon or simply leave the mixture out to cool.
- Add one egg a time to the cooled mixture, mixing well after each addition to make sure the egg is well combined. You now have prepared choux pastry dough!
- Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
– Pipe 5 inch ropes of the choux pastry into the hot oil. Cook them for a few minutes on each side or until deeply golden brown.
- Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil and coat them in a mixture of cinnamon and castor sugar.
- Serve hot with your favourite chocolate dipping sauce as a delectable sweet snack or as dessert!