DETOX : a process or period of time in which one abstains from or rids the body of toxic or unhealthy substances; detoxification.
After almost 3-4 months of binging this holiday season, going over the top even if it was just a nibble after another, we need to give our bodies a rest. How better than to do it than with our kind of detox! We’re calling in the new year with a month of clean eating, healthy foods. Think detox, think whole grains, loads of veggies, pseudo cereals, cold pressed juices, smoothies unlimited, light desserts, no processed foods … you get the drift! It’s time to cleanse the body inside out!!
Ayurveda is one such practice which finds its roots in India and is an intrinsic part of our culture. All we need are small baby steps or lifestyle change to help the body get rid of toxins. Simple things can go a long way. Let’s begin the year with healthy nutrients, low or zero fat foods, fermented preps, seasonal produce, loads of fresh fruits and veggies.
Tips to follow:
– Include loads of fibre in your diet – fresh seasonal produce, whole grains, nuts, pseudo-Turmeric in cereals. Mustard greens, broccoli, red radishes or white are all in plenty these days. Enjoy them in season.
– Eat a lot of raw produce. Think salads, think sprouts, think green goddess smoothies, let your creativity loose!
– Include super foods like ginger and fresh turmeric. These are powerful detox foods and help kick start your metabolism.
– Eat a Vitamin C rich diet – amla, citrus fruit, kiwis, strawberries
– Fill up on water to flush the toxins out. It’s free, doesn’t cost much and is easily available.
– Try doing some yoga every day. Deep breathing is great, and of course exercise of any kind helps.