How wonderful that one of the most delicious nuts are also said to be one of most well-balanced foods found in nature. Yes, almonds are just that and more. The kernels are among the richest sources of health-benefiting nutrients essential for optimum health and well-being. With more calcium than any other nut, vitamin E, copper, magnesium, fiber and high-quality protein; they also contain high levels of healthy unsaturated fatty. I don’t think we need any more reasons to enjoy on of nature’s best offerings!
– Rich sources of vitamins, and minerals
– Packed with numerous health promoting phyto-chemicals
– Rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids like oleic, and palmitoleic acids that help in lowering LDL and increasing HDL
– Excellent source of monounsaturated fatty acids, help to prevent coronary artery disease and strokes
– Free from gluten protein so find popular use in gluten free food
A Few Quick Serving Ideas
– Use almond slivers in salads, over desserts, over sundaes, while baking cookies
– Use almond meal to partially substitute flour in baking.
– Use almond meal as a thickener in soups, curries, smoothies etc.
– Microwave whole almonds with a tsp or two of ghee/olive oil and spices like paprika, chaat masala, Wostershire sauce, lime etc to make healthy spiced roasted nuts
– Use microwave/oven roasted almonds in place of roasted peanuts in fudge, brownies, cookies, biscotti, brittle, trail mix, granola, energy bars etc
– Try serving a warm almond soup in winter. It is very comforting and warming
– Keep roasted almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashews, raisins etc handy in a jar for a quick high energy snack.
– Add almonds into patties for snacks, burgers etc. They add a tasty bite and nutrition too.
How to select and store
While buying, the kernels should be a bright brown colour, and free from cracks, mold etc. They should not have a rancid smell or taste. While unshelled almonds keep well for long in a cool place, shelled kernels stay best in airtight containers and stored in the fridge. Almond meal if bought readymade is best kept in the fridge or freezer.