It isn’t called the KING of Fruit for nothing. Summer is incomplete without tart green or juicy luscious MANGOES, whichever way you love them. Mangoes are the most loved tropical fruit across the world. Low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, they are said to be a good source of pre-biotic dietary fibre and vitamin B6, vitamin A and vitamin C.
They are known for the following properties:
– Fight cancer
– Check cholesterol
– Help balance the alkali reserve f the body
– Aid weight loss, and have a low glycemic index
– Help in digestion
– Have cooling properties to prevent heatstroke
– Is very rich in Iron
It’s the perfect snack in summer, rich in iron, packed with vitamins, high in fibre, low calorie, and ever so versatile. I could go on forever since you can do so much with it both raw and ripe. Think a fruit salad, a Thai green salad, a cooler, mango tea, aam panna, aam ka achaar, chutney, preserves, cobblers, crisps, tea bread, mango sorbet, ice cream.
A Few Quick Serving Ideas
– Purée mango, yogurt and a sweetener if required together. Freeze to make a delightful Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt.
– Chop up fruits of your choice like mango, pineapple, avocado, jalapenos etc; add a dash of lime, sale, and fresh herbs. Leave to macerate for a while for the flavours to mature. Mango Apple Cider Bellini or Mango Peach Sangria …need we say more?
– Mango Apple Cider Bellini or Mango Peach Sangria …need we say more?Put this tropical fruit to good use each time. You can do a brilliant vegan mango coconut ice cream.
– Put this tropical fruit to good use each time. You can do a brilliant vegan mango coconut ice cream.Or then how about a Mango Chia Seed Pudding? Superfood at play and a winner both ways, dessert and nutrition come together very simply!
– How about a Mango Chia Seed Pudding? Superfood at play and a winner both ways, dessert and nutrition come together very simply!Stir up a Green Mango Chicken curry with tangy young tart green ‘
– Stir up a Green Mango Chicken curry with tangy young tart green ‘kairis’. Light, summery, fresh!Add mango puree to your everyday lemonade and see how you lift the flavours a whole new way
– Add mango puree to your everyday lemonade and see how you lift the flavours a whole new way.
– Last but not the least, a quintessential Green Mango Chutney. Throw in chopped green mango, mint, chillies, coriander, maybe even tomato into the blender. Taste as you go and create
How to select and store:
The ripeness of mangoes is best felt by touching the fruit like you would choose peaches and avocados. The fruit should be slightly soft to touch and uniformly coloured. Often a ripe mango will give you a beautiful ‘ripe’ fruit aroma at the stem end. If you feel that the fruit is unripe, leave at room temperature for a day or two. Mangoes will keep well in the fridge for a week.