It is popularly believed that a watermelon is only water and sugar. In reality, the watermelon is a very nutrient rich fruit, packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidant agents. The bonus? It is also extremely low calorie, so allows for guilt free indulgence.
Watermelon is synonymous summer and it is one of the best fruits to enjoy through the season. It is a refreshing fruit that keeps you hydrated and one of the easiest to eat. Eaten raw cut up, as a juice, in salads is very popular as picnic food. Go a step further and get creative with it and you will be amazed at the possibilities.
> Anti-Inflammatory and antioxidant
> Offers a rich supply of the amino acid, citrulline
> Extremely high water content so a great fruit to beat the heat
> Seeds and rind are also vitamin rich
A Few Quick Serving Ideas
– Purée watermelon, cantaloupe and mango together. Swirl in a little plain yogurt and serve as refreshing cold soup. Top with toasted watermelon seedsOr do a cold pressed juice with the melons and kiwi. Throw in some mint and ginger if you like. No sugar needed because watermelon is sweet enough!
– Or do a cold pressed juice with the melons and kiwi. Throw in some mint and ginger if you like. No sugar needed because watermelon is sweet enough!
– Roasted watermelon seeds are great to add to salads, cereals, in baked goodies, or just by the handful! A low-calorie snack which is a powerhouse of nutrients with magnesium, iron, folates, eat them by the handful!
– A featured item of Southern American cooking, the rind of watermelon can be marinated, pickled, or candied. Watermelon mixed with thinly sliced red onion,
– Watermelon mixed with thinly sliced red onion, salt and black pepper makes a great summer salad. Add prosciutto, pine nuts, feta, walnuts, basil, maybe a dash of lime
– Watermelon is a wonderful addition to fruit salad. And fruit salad can be made ahead and chilled. Think watermelon, musk melon, kiwi and a bunch of fresh herbs.
How to select and store
The heavier the watermelon, the better it is since 92% of it is water. Made sure the outer surface is bruise free and firm. An even green colour ensures it is ripe. Uncut whole fruit can be stored in a cool place for 2-3 days. Cut fruit must be refrigerated in a closed container for up to 2-3 days.