Delicious melt in mouth Lauki Ki Barfi ( Bottle gourd Fudge) flavoured with saffron and cardamom is an ideal sweet for your loved ones this Dussehra/Diwali celebration.
– Bottle Gourd, grated ( discard large seeds if any): 4 cups
– Whole Milk: 3 cups
– Khova (mawa): 200 gms
– Sugar (to taste): 3/4 cup
– Cardamom Powder: 1 teaspoon
– Few drops of rose water/essence
– A pinch of Saffron soaked in 2 tablespoon of milk
– Slivered Almonds, Pistachios and Saffron Strands for garnish
– In a heavy bottom pan, add grated Bottle Gourd (Lauki), 3 cups of whole milk, mix well. Bring it to boil.
– Cook until milk is reduced to to less than half and mixture turns thick, stir intermittently to avoid burning.
– Add saffron soaked milk, khova ( mawa) and sugar, mix very well
– Cook until barfi mixture comes together to form a lump.
– Add rose water/essence and cardamom powder, mix well.
– Cook until mixture starts leaving the pan and forms a soft dough.
– Place the mixture onto a tray or a plate greased with little ghee or lined with butter paper.
– Allow it to cool and set well. Refrigerate.
– Once set, cut in desired shape and size. Garnish with slivered almonds pistachios and saffron strands.
– Barfi stays swell for 4 days in clean airtight container under refrigeration.
– Enjoy this delicious lauki ki barfi whenever craved for.