Gingerbread Men Cookie is one of the must bake items during the Christmas. Festive season means indulgent eating habits so to make you enjoy favorite Gingerbread Men Cookie without counting calories this recipe has no butter and no white flour. Initially I was bit scared and skeptical about baking without butter but after tasting the cookie I could not resist myself from sharing this recipe with you all.
Yield: Makes 40 Gingerbread Men
- Whole Wheat Flour: 3 cup
- Ground Ginger: 2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon: 1 tsp
- Ground Nutmeg: 1/4 tsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda: 3/4 tsp
- Olive Oil: 1/2 cup
- Granulated White Sugar: 1/2 cup
- Egg: 1 large
- Honey: ⅓ cup
- Dark Brown Sugar: ¼ cup
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Keep aside until required.
- In KitchenAid Stand Mixer with paddle attachment whisk the oil and white sugar for 5 minutes at medium speed. Add the egg, honey, brown sugar and beat until well combined.
- Now add the sifted flour mixture and combine to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least two hours or even overnight).
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius and place rack in center of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies.
- With an offset spatula lift the cookies onto the baking sheet, placing about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. You can make hole in the center of the cookie as well for decoration later on.
- If cookies are a little soft, place the baking sheet (with the cookies) in the fridge for about 10 minutes. This will prevent the cookies from losing their shape.
- Bake for about 15 minutes depending on the size of the cookies. They are done when they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in air tight container.