Marble Cake is one of the English Classic Cakes popular since 19th Century. Swirls of chocolate in vanilla batter make an artistic design, bursting with goodness of rick dark flavor of chocolate along with simple moist vanilla cake, usually enjoyed with a cup of coffee, this chocolate streaked cake can be relished during any hour of the day.
Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Loaf Cake:
Yields: 9 inch loaf
For the Vanilla Batter:
– 1 ½ Cup all purpose flour
– 2 eggs 113g (½ Cup) unsalted butter, softened
– ⅓ Cup white sugar, powdered
– 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– ½ Cup plain yogurt
– 2 teaspoon baking powder
– ¼ teaspoon salt, if using unsalted butter
For the Chocolate Batter:
– 115g semisweet chocolate, chopped
– 2 teaspoon instant coffee powder steeped in 4 tablespoon hot water
For the Chocolate Glaze:
– ⅓ Cup semisweet chocolate, chopped 1 tablespoon butter
– ⅓ Cup fresh cream
– Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
– Grease a 9 inch loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
– Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Add steeped coffee to it and mix nicely. Set aside to cool down.
– With a KitchenAid cordless blender whisk attachment whip butter and sugar until light and fluffy in texture.
– Add vanilla extract and one egg at a time, each time whip the batter with KitchenAid blender for 1 – 2 minute.
– Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
– In the butter mixture add flour and yogurt alternatively in three additions and mix with spatula gently each time so that all combined and moistened well. Divide batter into two equal parts in separate bowls.
– Mix in melted chocolate in one part of batter and mix well to combine nicely.
-In loaf tin, add spoonful of vanilla batter on one side of the tin. Adjacent to it add spoonful of chocolate batter and then next to it vanilla batter.
– Similarly arrange spoonfuls of batter alternatively in the whole tin. Once batter is arranged with a wooden skewer swirl to make a design but do not swirl too much as marble effect will not come neat.
– Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once done remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
– To make glaze, heat cream in a pan with butter, add hot cream over chopped chocolate and mix nicely until chocolate melted nicely. Cool the glaze and with the help of fork spread evenly over marble loaf. Cut into slices and serve.
About the author
Hina Gujral blogs at Fun, Food and Frolic. She was a financial analyst with a MBA degree up her sleeves until she realized food is where her calling lay. She is based in Bangalore and loves gardening, reading and running behind her pug – Momo. Follow Hina’s food adventures here: www.funfoodandfrolic.blogspot.in