Focaccia is an Italian flat bread which can be made plain or flavoured with your favourite seasoning or herbs. The interesting twist in Onion Focaccia comes with the honey and balsamic vinegar glazed onion blended along with the dough. This classical Onion Focaccia can not only be as a side or a base for sandwich but also can be enjoyed singly.
Time taken: 3 hours + 20 minutes Serves: 6
INGREDIENTS: For focaccia
– All-purpose flour: 3 and 1/2 cups
– Sour cream: 1/2 cup
– Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
– Instant yeast: 2 teaspoons
-Water (lukewarm): 1/2 cup
– Sugar: 2 teaspoons
– Salt to taste
– Water for kneading
– Onions (finely sliced): 3 tablespoons
– Oregano (dried): 1 teaspoon
– Green or black olives (pitted)
– Olive oil for drizzling
– Sea salt for sprinkling
INGREDIENTS: For glazing onions
– Onions (sliced) : 1/4 cup
– Olive oil: 2 teaspoons
– Honey: 2 teaspoons
– Balsamic vinegar: 1 teaspoon
– In a small bowl, combine half cup of lukewarm water, sugar and yeast. Mix, cover and keep it aside for few minutes until frothy.
For glazing onions:
– In a pan, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and sliced onions. Fry for few seconds.Reduce the heat to low and allow it to cook until its starts picking up a golden color (Do not burn it).
– Add balsamic vinegar and honey, mix well. Cook until they are glazed well and are beautiful golden in colour. Take it off the heat.
– In a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, add 3 and half cup of flour, sour cream, olive oil, salt, yeast mixture and glazed onions.
– Add water and start kneading the dough at a low speed for a minute or two. Turn the speed to medium and knead the dough until very soft (for approximately about 10 to 18 minutes)
– Oil a large bowl, add the kneaded dough, cover it with a cling wrap and keep it in a warm place for an hour or until its doubled in size.
– Grease a 9-inch pan and keep it aside.
– After proofing, lightly punch the dough and knead it lightly for a minute or two.Lightly roll the dough into a disc of approximately 9-inch.
– Place the rolled disc into the greased pan. Cover the focaccia with clean towel or greased plastic wrap and let it rest for another 45-50mins. Pre heat the oven at 220 degrees.
– Uncover the focaccia and gently make the dimples with your fingers on it and spread the sliced onions, olives and oregano on the top and sprinkle coarse salt on it, drizzle olive oil.
– Bake the focaccia for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 190 and bake for another 18-20 minutes or until golden and baked well. Once done, take it out, cool for few minutes.