Recipe by Chef Sandeep Pande, Executive Chef Renaissance Mumbai & Lakeside Chalet Marriott Apartments, Mumbai.
With the perfect combination of sweet and zesty flavours, Orange Creme Brulee is a feast for all. It is will make your special occasions even more special and decadent.
ORANGE OIL CRÈME BRULEE
Preparation time: 45 min
Baking time: 40 min.
– zest of 4 oranges
– 3 cups heavy cream
– 1 extra large egg
– 4 extra large egg yolks
– 1/2 cup sugar +1 teaspoon for each crème brûlée
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur Or Orange oil
– Zest your oranges, then run a knife through it and chop it up even finer. You want as much of the orange zest to infuse into the cream as possible. Combine the chopped orange zest and the cream, and let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours. The orange zest needs time to infuse into the cream since we will be straining the zest out later.
– Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
– In a Kitchen aid stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the egg, egg yolks, and 1/2 cup sugar together on low speed for 2 minutes. Heat the cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium high heat until scalded, bringing it almost to a boil, but not quite.
– With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the cream into the egg mixture. Add the vanilla and Grand Marnier, and once it’s all combined, pour the mixture through a fine meshed sieve to strain out the orange zest. Pour the strained custard into ramekins until almost full.
– Place the ramekins in a baking pan and pour boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
– Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crème brûlées only jiggle slightly when shaken. Take the crème brûlées out of the water bath and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until they firm up.
– When you’re ready to serve them, sprinkle over 1 tsp of sugar evenly on top of each crème brûlée, and use a blowtorch.
LEMON ZEST AND PISTACHIO CRACKLE:
– Isomalt: 50 gms
– Lemon zest: half a lemon and 5 gms pistachio
– Spead the iso malt on a silicon mat, spaltter around some pistachio and zest.
– Bake at 180 degrees. Cool down and use for garnish.
LAVENDER HONEY FLAVOURED RICOTTA:
– Lavender honey: 25 ml.
– Lemon juice: 5 ml.
– Ricotta: 50 gms.
– Double cream: 25 gms.
– Put all the ingredients in a kitchen aid mixture with a whisk attachment and whisk till stiff.
APRICOTS ,ALMONDS, PRUNES:
– Sugar: 50 gms
– Butter: 30 gms
– Assorted nuts: 50 gms
– Heat sugar till caramelized.
– Add butter and nuts and whisk till cooled down. Lay over the silicon mat and use as required.
PEPPER AND WILD BERRY COULLIS:
– Wild berries: 50 gms
– Castor sugar: 20 gms
– Cracked pepper to taste
– Blend all the ingredients using a kitchen aid blender.