When summer kicks in we can only think of mouth-watering ice creams and what better if you can make it at home. Our consultant chef, Hanisha Singh, shows you how you can use the ingredient of the month, Peanut butter to create tempting ice cream sandwiches.
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Freezing time: over night
Baking time: 12-14 minutes
For the Ice-Cream:
– Full Fat Milk 250 ml
– Double cream 500l ml
– Caster Sugar 150g
– Egg yolks 6 no.
– Crunchy Peanut Butter 80g
– Salt 1g
For the Chocolate Chip Cookie:
– Flour 158g
– Baking soda ½ teaspoon
– Salt 1g
– Callebaut dark chocolate 54%- 70g
– Callebaut dark chocolate 70% – 70g
– Butter 112g
– Brown Sugar 106g
– Caster Sugar 75g
– Eggs 2 no.
– Peanut Butter to assemble (optional)
– Heat the Milk, sugar, peanut butter and salt in a saucepan to a simmer.
– In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks. Gradually pour some of the milk into the yolks, whisking continuously as you pour. Pour back into the saucepan and return to heat.
– Cook over low heat, whisking continuously and scraping the bottom with a heat resistant spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.
– Strain the custard into heavy cream, reserve the peanut bits. Stir over ice bath until cool.
– Refrigerate to chill.
– Attach the pre-frozen ice-cream bowl attachment to the stand mixer. Churn the ice-cream mix at speed 2 for 25-30 minutes. Add the reserved peanut bits at the end
– Pour into a cling wrap lined box and freeze overnight.
– Remove frozen slab of ice-cream from the box, peel away the cling wrap from the sides.
– Use a round cutter dipped in hot water to cut discs.
– Return the portioned ice-cream to the freezer in an airtight container.
– Place Half the butter in the stand mixer bowl and ream using the flat beater at speed 6.
– Add both the sugars and the remaining butter and cream till light.
– Add the eggs one at a time and beat till well incorporated
– Add in the sifted dry ingredients and mix at speed one.
– Fold in the chocolate chips.
– Chill the cookie dough till it stiffens. Scoop out into 30g portions and place on a tray lined with parchment paper.
– Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175C for 12-14 minutes.
– Cool the cookies completely.
– To assemble, smear peanut butter on the inside of one cookie, place the portioned ice-cream and sandwich with another cookie.
– The ice-cream sandwiches can be stored for later in the freezer, individually wrapped and placed in an airtight container.