Pineapple Hand pies are yummy flaky pastry pockets filled with spiced pineapple compote.A refreshing snack that can be served either for teatime or even for kids snack box. Pineapple handpies makes a great munchie for journeys and day outs. It is very easy to make and taste simple awesome. Let’s go through How to do it.
Time: 2 hours Serves:5-6
INGREDIENTS: For Pastry
– Flour: 2 cups
– Butter (room temperature): ¾ cup
– Confectioners sugar: 1/3 cup
INGREDIENTS: For Filling
– Pineapple (chopped): 1¼ cup
– sugar: ½ cup
– Star anise: 1 no.
– Cinnamon stick: ½ inch
– Cloves: 2 nos.
– Water: ¼ cup
– Lemon zest: ½ teaspoon
– Juice of ½ lemon
METHOD: For Filling
– In a pan, add all the ingredients mentioned under the “For Filling” after measuring with the KitchenAid Measuring Cups (measuring your ingredients is always helpful) . Bring the mixture to a boil.
– Simmer until it reaches thick chunky jam consistency. Take it off the heat and cool it completely. Keep it aside.
– Mix the butter, sugar, and all-purpose flour with the fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Some may be the size of a pea.
– Then transfer mixture on work surface and knead very gently to bring them together to form a ball (Don’t knead it too much with your palm)
– Wrap the crust dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 1 hour.
– Take the crust dough and roll it on a parchment paper into a 14×14 inch square with a thickness of ¼ inch.
– Now cut the pastry of desired shapes around 2.5-3 inches each
– Keep these pieces on the and refrigerate it for another hour.
– Preheat the oven at 180 degrees centigrade.
– Take out the pieces, put ¾-1 teaspoon of the filling in the centre of one piece. Cover it with another piece.
– Press the edges gently with a fork so the two pieces get sealed. Arrange each pie on the baking tray.
– Prick at the centre from top using a fork. Brush with milk on top and sprinkle some sugar on it.
– Bake it for 12 to 15 mins or till golden brown.
– Let it cool on wire rack and serve.