In talks with: CHEF ABHISHEK BASU
– Executive Chef at The Park, Hyderabad
Q: What does cooking mean to you?
– Cooking makes me bring a smile to people’s faces. Creating and experimenting
is my life!
Q: What motivated you to become a chef? Any anecdote you may want to
– Chef Basu’s zeal for cooking began early, seeing his mother cook. He shares
this incident that surprised him when his parents let him in on this one. He
surprised his parents when at the age of 4 he visited a toy shop in Kolkata and
wanted to buy a cooking set as it had the ‘petaku’. Later his parents found out
that it was the toy pressure cooker that had caught his attention. Chef Basu
now says “I have not looked back since.”
Q: Highpoint of your work?
– My visit to the Italian countryside as well as my training under Chefs Andrea
Sposini and Antonio Carluccio.
Q: How long have you been cooking?
– 14 years
Q: Where did you train to be a chef?
– Army Institute of Hotel Management (AIHM) & Italian Culinary Institute.
Q: How would you describe your ‘Style of Cooking’?
– Quick, Easy, Full of Flavour.
Q: Which dish do you like cooking the most?
– Parchment Baked Fish
Q: What’s your favourite ingredient? Why?
– Herbs and rubs – these bring out the best in any dish.
Q: What’s your most interesting/fun time in the kitchen every day?
– Dinners… Busy with guests enjoying your creations.
Q: What’s the first thing you do when you enter your kitchen for the day?
– Say hello to my veggies and meats 🙂
Q: Which other chef do you admire?
– Willi Wilson
Q: Do you have any advice for someone wanting to become a chef?
– Being a Chef makes you invincible as everyone wants good food created by a
good chef. Super chef with super powers! So come join the force!
Chef’s Profile: Chef Abhishek Basu, Executive Chef- The Park Hyderabad