In talks with KitchenAid Chef Of The Fortnight: CHEF MADHUMITA MOHANTA
– Executive Chef at The Lalit, Great Eastern, Kolkata
Q: What does cooking mean to you?
– It is the greatest art from because it stimulates all of the senses, Sight, smell, sound, touch…and of course, taste.
Q: Highpoint of your work?
– Serving a few well-known personalities.
Q: How long have you been cooking?
– Nearly 18 years
Q: Where did you train to be a chef?
– IAM, Kolkata where I did my initial learning and then of course on job training in various hotels of various brands!
Q: Why did you choose to become a chef?
– I believe it was my destiny and a love for Cooking as my career.
Q: How would you describe your ‘Style of Cooking’?
– Modern, progressive
Q: Which dishes do you like cooking the most?
– It’s difficult to be specific about a particular dish, it depends on the season, meal period and of course if I am cooking for someone his or her preference is also important.
Q: What’s your favorite ingredient to cook? Why?
– I am very passionate about fresh herbs, it increases the face value of any dish and instantly acts like magic, adds aroma freshness to the dish…For garnishing nothing like fresh herbs.
Q: What’s your most interesting/fun time in the kitchen every day?
– During the busy operation time….it’s so exciting and fun.
Q: What’s the first thing you do when you enter your kitchen for the day?
– I take my regular round of entire kitchen before I begin my day.
Q: Which other chef do you admire?
– Marco Pierre White, René Redzepi
Q: Do you have any advice for someone wanting to become a chef?
– It all about you own passion, it’s a lot of hard work and sweat because it’s a skill based profession one should be prepared for the same.
Chef Madhumita Mohanta is the Executive Chef of the iconic property, The Lalit, Great Eastern Kolkata. Her experience in the culinary operations spans over 15 years, before joining The Lalit. Having passed out from IAM – Kolkata, she started as a Hotel Management Trainee at The Park, Kolkata, Chef Madhumita scaled the heights of culinary success with her enriching experience at Ritz Carlton, Sheraton, Four Point by Sheraton and The Claridges India, Singapore, Bahrain and Kuwait.
In her role, she will oversee the culinary operations at The Lalit Great Eastern. Chef Madhumita is one of the few chefs in the world to have had the opportunity to serve the leading Italian soccer club and also launch an F1 season. From being the personal cook for Michael Schumacher to serving steamed noodles and other pan-Asian delicacies to Queen Raina of Jordon, Chef Madhumita has several laurels in her kitty.
In spite of widespread overseas exposure in creating unique gastronomic experience worldwide, Chef Madhumita feels closest to Bengali food. Chef Madhumita Mohanta is hailed as the kitchen queen of India. Armed with an extensive experience in different styles of cooking, Chef Madhumita believes in simplicity is the key to woo guests.