In talks with Chef Vivek Bhatt,
– Executive Chef
JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity
Q: What does cooking mean to you?
– The fastest way to reach someone’s heart is through the stomach. Cooking and sharing a meal is something which breaks all barriers. There is nothing more congenial than sharing a meal, and there is nothing more fulfilling than to cook a meal for your loved ones.
Q: What motivated you to become a chef?
– The fact that a great chef goes places, literally! The world is my kitchen.
Q: Highpoint of your work?
– Seeing my teams learn and grow. Every hotel I have worked in teams I have worked with achieved some outstanding milestones. From guest satisfaction to associate engagement, from food cost control to internal growth of my team members. Successful Opening of JW Marriott Sahar under my leadership.
Q: How long have you been cooking?
– 20 years
Q: Where did you train to be a chef?
– I am a graduate from IHM Ahmedabad and started my on ground training in 1997 in various hotels in India and overseas.
Q: Why did you choose to become a chef?
– I feel this is the perfect amalgamation of passion and creativity
Q: How would you describe your ‘Style of Cooking’?
– Simple, authentic, intuitive
Q: Which dishes do you like cooking the most?
– Anything I am cooking for my loved ones. (Especially biryanis, Seekh Kebab, also laal maas, Poha Aloo poori)
Q: What’s your favorite ingredient to cook? Why?
– Coriander, green leafy vegetables, pumpkin, black pepper, mushrooms and Garlic. The beauty of food lies in the ingredients used, and the natural flavours they carry when they are fresh.
Q: What is your most interesting/fun time in the kitchen every day?
– When I am doing my rounds and interacting with my associates.
Q: What’s the first thing you do when you enter your kitchen for the day?
– Wash my hands and then start my rounds of each and every area of the kitchen, engage with all line chefs in their respective sections.
Q: Which other chef do you admire?
– Chef Dinesh Rawat, Chef Niklesh Sharma, Chef Girish Krishnan, All the chefs I have worked and grown up with, each one of them contributed immensely to my development as a person and a professional.
Q: Do you have any advice for someone wanting to become a chef?
Don’t give up, ever!
VIVEK BHATT, Executive Chef, JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity
Vivek Bhatt is the Executive Chef at the 523-room JW Marriott New Delhi Aerocity. Vivek’s core responsibility comprises grooming and development of the culinary team members of the hotel; menu curation and product development; and ensuring highest standards of hygiene and quality of the food served at the hotel. He has an avid passion for cooking with a flair for Spanish and Mediterranean preparations. He is resolute in his belief of authentic cuisine and looks forward to further strengthen JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity as the ultimate food and beverage destination in the capital.
Chef Vivek comes with around two decades of experience in the hospitality industry and has worked with eminent hotel brands in India and abroad. A graduate from IHM Ahmedabad, he started his career as a Commis with The Trident, Jaipur in 1997 before moving to Hyatt Regency, New Delhi as Chef de Partie in 2001. He was later promoted to Sous Chef, where he was in-charge of the banquet kitchen and its operations. During his tenure with Hyatt, he was appointed as Chef de Cuisine for the Hyatt Regency La Manga, Spain in 2004.
He returned to India in 2007 to work with Shangri-La Hotel New Delhi as Executive Sous Chef. During his tenure with Shangri-La, he was sent to Philippines to assist in the opening of Shangri-La’s Boracay Resort and Spa. Chef Vivek had also worked with Shangri-La Hotel, Shenzhen and Shangri-La’s Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa, Sultanate of Oman. Chef Vivek joined Hyderabad Marriott Hotel & Convention Center and Courtyard by Marriott, Hyderabad as the Executive Chef in 2012. He had also been instrumental in the opening of JW Marriott Mumbai Sahar in 2014. Until recently, he was working as Executive Chef at Shangri-La Hotel, Suzhou, China. A seasoned professional with extensive experience in the culinary arena, Chef Vivek is committed to delivering great food and service to guests at JW Marriott New Delhi Aerocity. In his leisure time, he enjoys traveling, reading, photography and playing tennis and football.