Recipe of The Month:Vanilla Mille Crepes Cake
For the Crepes:
– Full Fat Milk: 500 g
– Eggs: 200 g
– Flour: 200 g
– Caster Sugar: 20 g
– Galliano: 60 g
– Salt: 5 g
– Melted butter: 20 g
– Vanilla bean: 1
For the Filling:
– Egg yolks: 130 g
– Vanilla bean: 1
– Caster sugar: 110 g
– Custard powder: 60 g
– Milk: 600 g
– Butter 25 g
– Whipped cream: 200 g
– Gelatin sheet: 2 g
– Place milk, eggs, flour, sugar, Galliano and salt in the diamond blender. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add them. Blend using the mix function for about 15-20 seconds, with the blender running, gently pour in the melted butter.
– Strain the mix into a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
– For the filling, place the egg yolks in the stand mixer bowl fitted with the whisk, Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to the yolks. Mix at speed 6 for 30-40 seconds.
– Slowly add in the sugar and whisk until lighter in color. Scrape down the sides once and whisk at speed 8 for 3 minutes till the mix is pale yellow and thick. When the whisk is lifted it should form a slow dissolving ribbon
– Reduce the speed to 1 and add the custard powder and then the milk till well combined.
– Set and ice bath with a strainer set on top. Pour the mix into a saucepan and set over medium heat. Stir continuously till the mix begins to thicken. Whisk and cook till pastry cream has thickened, pass through strainer. – – Whisk for about a minute to cool slightly, add the butter. Cling wrap against the surface to avoid formation of skin. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
– Place the pastry cream in the stand mixer bowl and beat using the flat beater at speed 2 till creamy in consistency.
– Soak gelatin sheet in ice water. Take a scoop of the crème patissiere and heat in the microwave. Squeeze excess water from the gelatin and ad to the warm pastry cream. Strain the mix over creamed pastry cream. Mix till combined. Fold in the whipped cream and chill for 4 hours before use.
– Make crepes in a non-stick pan. Rub with oil incase the crepes begin to stick. Cool then on parchment paper laid out on a baking tray. Stack or overlap once they have cooled. Let them sit for 10 minutes before use
– Take a cake board and place cling wrap on it. Choose the best crepe for the top of the cake and place face down on the cling wrap. Pipe the filling and spread using an offset palette knife. Make sure the filling is thicker on the sides as the crepes tend to be thinner on the sides. Continue to layer crepes and cream, ending with a crepe. Wrap the cake and chill for 4 hours. Invert onto a plate . Sprinkle sugar over the top and brulee with a torch.
– Cut into 8-10 wedges and serve chilled with seasonal fruit