Poached pear is a pretty looking dessert. The pear is cooked in sugar syrup infused with spices. It is a simple yet elegant dessert. It is usually served with whipped cream or ice cream.
I have given the dish a twist by infusing the syrup with lime leaves and cinnamon and roasted the poached pear further to caramelize it and served it with vanilla cream and toasted nuts to give it a crunch.
PRODUCTS FEATURED :
– Pear: 2 nos.
– Whipping cream: 200 ml
– Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
– Almonds, Pistachio, Sunflower seeds: A handful
INGREDIENTS: For the syrup
– Water: 2 cups
– Lime leaves: 4 nos.
– Granulated sugar: 1 cup
– Cinnamon: 2 sticks
– Get out fome fresh pears and wash them properly.
– Add all the ingredients for the syrup into the saucepan and start boiling it. Peel the pear and retain the stem.
– As soon as the syrup starts to simmer, drop in the pears and let it cook in the syrup for an hour on low flame.
– The pears should be soft. Test it by inserting a toothpick into the pear. The pick should easily pierce into the pear. Do not over cook it.
– Remove the pears and set it aside.
– Now further boil the syrup and let it reduce to a thick syrup.
– Preheat the oven to 200 C. Cut the pear into half vertically and place them flat side up in the pan.
– Pour a ladle full of syrup over the pear and roast them in the oven for 10 minutes or till the pear starts caramelizing.
– Chill the pear and the syrup in the fridge. Whip the cream with vanilla extract till soft peaks form.
– Chop the nuts and toast them lightly
– Serve the pear on a bed of cream and nuts and pour the syrup generously over it.
Tip: Share it with mom and enjoy some precious moments!