Recipe By Ruplai Dean Traveller and Foodie
Serves– 4 portions
– Mustard leaves: 1 Kg
– Spinach: 250 Gms
– Methi: 100gms
– Bathua: 50 Gms
– Green chilies: to taste
– Ginger: 40gms
– Garlic: 25 Gms
– Salt: to taste
– Makki Ka Atta: 20 Gms (as reqd)
– Red chilli powder: to taste
– White Butter: 250 Gms
– Chopped Onions: for tempering
– Juliennes of ginger: for tempering.
– Clean, wash and roughly chop leaves and the tender stems.
– In the KitchenAid Diamond Blender roughly chop 2/3rd of the ginger, garlic and green chilies.
– Put all the leaves and the ginger, garlic, green chilli paste in a handi or pressure cooker and simmer until tender.
– Remove and drain excess liquid if any and keep aside. Little by little put the drained vegetables in the KitchenAid Diamond Blender coarsely purée it. (But make sure not to make the puree too thin).
– Return the pureed vegetables in the handi/pressure cooker and add red chilli powder and makki ka Atta with the drained water, (you may add some butter too) slowly and steadily and keep cooking on slow fire, stirring occasionally till it stops bubbling. Adjust seasoning. Remove from fire.
– For the tempering in a pan melt butter, add onions & ginger juliennes and when done pour over the simmering Saag and have it with Makki Di Roti