There is something just so comforting about an Apple Pie. The warm fuzzy feeling you get in every bite. Winters are almost here and Christmas is also around the corner…So let’s get baking!
Time taken: 1hour + 15 minutes Serves: 4-6 people
INGREDIENTS: For the base
– Butter: 1/2 cup
– Castor sugar: 1/3 cup
– Egg yolk (large) : 1 no.
– All-purpose flour: 1 + 1/4 cups
METHOD: For the base
– To make the base, pre-heat the oven to 190C.
– Wisk in the cream butter and sugar and the egg yolk using your KitchenAid Stand Mixer
– Mix in flour and beat until the dough begins to come together.
– Knead the dough and divide into two equal halves. Wrap them with plastic wrap individually and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or until the dough is firm.
– Roll out the dough and line the skillet with the rolled out dough. Chill in the freezer for another 15 minutes.
INGREDIENTS: For the filling
– Apples, thinly sliced (large): 2 nos.
– Butter (melted): 4 tablespoons
– Brown sugar: 4 tablespoons
– Cinnamon: 2 teaspoons
– Almond flakes: 1/4 cup
METHOD: For the filling
– Place the apples on the rolled out base on the skillet.
– Generously brush them with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
– Top with almond flakes.
– Bake at 190C for 20-30 minutes until the crust becomes golden brown.
– Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream