Recipe by our Chef of the fortnight: Tarini Bawa owner at Tcakes
This is a special winter cake. Perfect during Christmas time due to its festive spices. The same batter can bake a cake or cupcakes. Decorate your cupcakes with any cute edible Christmas accessory you can find in the market.
PREPARATION TIME| 20 mins
COOKING TIME | 50 mins (cake) 60 mins (all cupcakes)
SERVES | 10-12 slices
MAKES| 25 cupcakes
– Flour: 150 gms
– Castor Sugar: 150 gms
– Butter (yellow): 150 gms
– Cocoa: 1-heaped teaspoon
– Baking Powder: 1.5 teaspoon
– Egg: 3
– Brandy: Dash
– Spiced rum (preferably Captain Morgan): Dash
– Orange (fresh): ½ regular size squeezed
– Cinnamon powder: ½ teaspoon
– Almonds: Chopped for sprinkling
– Walnuts: Chopped for sprinkling
– Ginger powder: A pinch
– Vanilla essence: 1 teaspoon
– Riche’s Cream: 200 Gms
– Preheat oven to 180C.
– Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, ginger powder and cocoa.
– Cream sugar and butter in “KitchenAid Artisan Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer” until fluffy. Then add eggs one at a time while mixer speed on low. Add orange juice. Lastly add vanilla essence
– Fold in flour mix into the egg mix, gently. Make sure to add little flour mix at a time, so as to avoid lumps.
– Add brandy and Rum in the end. Pour batter into greased 6” round cake pan. Sprinkle walnuts and almonds on top.
– Alternatively, pour spoonful of batter in cupcake sleeves using a muffin pan. Sprinkle walnuts and almonds on each cupcake.
– Bake for about 50mins/ 1.5 hours or until toothpick comes out clean.
For Cupcake frosting:
– Whisk cream in “KitchenAid Artisan Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer” using “wire whip” attachment.
– Start by whipping on speed “2” on your stand mixer and slowly increase speed. Whisk until soft peaks form.