Recipe by Chef Hanisha Singh, Consultant, KitchenAid India
Preparation Time : 2hrs 20mins
Baking time: 40-45 mins
For the Tart:
– Flour: 250 g
– Butter: 100 g
– Icing Sugar: 100 g
– Egg: 2
– Salt 1/4th teaspoon
For the Baked Yogurt:
– Yogurt: 200 g
– Cream: 200 g
– Condensed Milk: 200 g
– Strawberries: 200 g
– Weigh and scale ingredients for the tart dough.
– Sieve flour and icing sugar into the stand mixer bowl, Add diced butter. Using the flat beater, mix all at speed 1 for about a minute till you get a breadcrumb like consistency.
– Add the eggs in one at a time and mix till well incorporated. Knead with the flat beater for another minute at speed 2 till the dough comes together and clings to flat beater.
– Remove dough from the stand mixer bowl and wrap in cling wrap. Press down to get a flat slab. Refrigerate it for 2 hour before rolling out. At this stage the dough can also be frozen for up to 3 weeks for use later.
– Mean while weigh out ingredients for baked yogurt. Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Place all ingredients in stand mixer bowl and mix using the whisk at speed 2 till smooth and free of lumps.
– Pour into a baking tin and place in the oven tray. Pour water into the tray. Bake at 160°C for 10-12 mins. It should be just set with a wobble in the center. Let it cool to room temperature then refrigerate to chill.
– Rinse strawberries, dry them using a salad spinner to get rid of excess water. Place in a single layer on paper towel in an airtight container.
– Pre- heat oven to 180°C to blind bake the tart shell. Place the chilled dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out. Make sure its rolled out large enough to fit your tart mold. Use a small piece of dough dusted in dry flour to press down the corners. Cut off excess using a sharp knife.
– Dock the pastry dough using a fork. Take a piece of parchment paper to fit the tart mold. Crush the parchment completely so that it sits well in the mold covering the corners. Fill with baking beans or pie weights. This will help avoid air pockets that cause the pastry to bubble up. They weight down the dough so that it holds its shape and stays firmly nestled against the pie mold.
– Bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes till the sides are blonde, remove the baking beans and parchment paper and return to oven for 5-7 minutes to get a blonde color on the base too. Remove the tart from the oven and brush with egg wash. Return to the oven for a minute or 2 to get a glossy protective layer that will avoid the pastry from becoming soggy once filled with the baked yogurt.
– Allow the tart shell to cool completely. Spoon in the chilled baked yogurt. Spread evenly with a bent palette knife.
– Pluck the greens off the strawberry and slit lengthwise. Arrange over baked yogurt in lines slightly overlapping to cover the white surface. Dust with icing sugar and serve.