There’s something so romantic about sharing a dessert in a jar!
I’m a big fan of keeping things simple and uncomplicated for Valentine’s Day, and this Tiramisu in a jar is everything I believe in. It’s perfectly sweetened, has a luxurious mascarpone custard and Savoiardi biscuits soaked in coffee. After the indulgence over the holidays, I like to bring a slight ‘grown-up’ feel to desserts for Valentine’s Day and this is exactly what the hint of espresso soaked biscuits too.
I used the KitchenAid Pro Line Series 5-Speed Cordless Hand Blender for all the whisking in this recipe. I started out with the egg whites because the bowl and the whisk need to be spotlessly clean in order for the egg whites to whisk up well. This is why I whisk them up before the yolks.
Did you know that sugar can end up cooking the egg yolks and ruin your recipe without you realizing? So we whisk the yolks and sugar together immediately after adding them to the bowl. You want to whisk them till they get thick.
Add the mascarpone and vanilla extract, and give that a quick whisk. If you find that it isn’t mixing in smoothly, add a tablespoon of milk to loosen it up, that should do the trick.
In about 3 batches, add the egg whites…
… and fold them gently into the cream.
Sometimes, I find certain ingredients so magical. Like these Savoiardi biscuits that soak up liquid so beautifully. Just a quick dip and turn is enough to get the espresso in them or they’ll be too bitter.
In a jar, add a layer of the biscuits. Sometimes I use chopsticks to get them in place, neat little trick, no?
Add a layer of cream…
…then the next layer of soaked biscuits…
…top it up with cream, close the lid and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
And grate some chocolate on to it before you dig in.
Time taken – 30 minutes + 6 hours chilling timeServes: 2 people
Serves: 2 people
– Eggs: 2 nos. (whites and yolks separated)
– Tiny pinch of salt
– Caster sugar: 50 + 25 gms
– Mascarpone: 150 gms
– Vanilla extract: 2 teaspoons
– Milk: 1 tablespoon
– Espresso coffee: ½ cup
– About 12 to 15 Savoiardi biscuits
– Dark Chocolate for grating as garnish.
– In a clean glass or steel bowl, use the whisk attachment of the KitchenAid Pro Line Series 5-Speed Cordless Hand Blender to whisk the egg whites in a large bowl. Add a tiny pinch of salt as the egg whites start to fluff up and whisk them until they form stiff peaks. Wash & clean the whisk attachment.
– Brew the espresso & pour into a shallow bowl. Stir in 25 gms of sugar until dissolved.
– Add the egg yolks & remaining sugar to separate large bowl and whisk until thick and pale.
– Add mascarpone, vanilla extract & milk and whisk to combine.
– In 3 batches, add whisked egg whites, folding after each addition.
– Quickly dip each biscuit on both sides in espresso (not leaving it in bowl) and layer the base of the jar.
– Scoop in a layer of cream mixture on top of biscuits.
– Now, layer again with biscuits and cream.
– Cover jar tightly and leave in refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
– Grate some chocolate before serving.