Servings: Makes 1 Swiss roll
– Eggs: 4 (large, at room temperature)
– Egg yolk: 1 (at room temperature)
– All-purpose flour: 1/3 cup
– Cornstarch (corn flour): 3 tablespoon
– Granulated white sugar: 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
– Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
For the filling of swiss roll:
– Whipped cream: 1 cup
– Strawberry compote: 1/3 cup
– icing sugar: 1 tbsp to dust the swiss roll
– Preheat oven to 230º C. Grease a 17×12” baking pan, line it with parchment paper, and then grease the paper.
- Separate two of the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl. To the separated yolks, add the additional 1 egg yolk, and the two remaining whole eggs.
- Now, in a small bowl sift the flour and the cornstarch together.
- Place the egg yolks and whole eggs, along with 1/2 cup of the sugar, in your KitchenAid Stand Mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on high speed for five minutes, or until thick, pale yellow, and fluffy. (When you slowly raise the beaters the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons) .
- Then beat in the vanilla extract.
– Add half the sifted flour mixture over the beaten egg mixture and fold in gently with a rubber spatula, just until the flour is incorporated. Sift the remaining flour mixture into the batter and fold in.
- Again using KitchenAid Stand Mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Sprinkle in the remaining one tbsp sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold a little of the egg whites into the batter, and then add the rest of the whites.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly with an offset spatula or spoon.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and when lightly pressed, springs back. Remove the cake from the oven sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and then invert the cake onto a clean dish towel. Remove the parchment paper, and roll up the sponge, with the towel.
- Let sponge cool down in the towel for 5 – 10 minutes.
- To assemble the Swiss roll: Unroll the sponge from the towel, spread with the cream and strawberry compote .
- Cover with a lightly moist kitchen towel and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. Just before serving, dust with confectioners’ sugar. Slice and serve.
Easily make your favorite cakes and multiple batches of cookie dough with the 4.8 L stainless steel mixing bowl with comfortable handle. With 10 speeds, the stand mixer will quickly become your kitchen’s culinary center as you mix, knead and whip ingredients with ease. And for even more versatility, the power hub fits optional attachments from food grinders to pasta makers and more.Learn More