Lavash is the most popular unleavened flat crisp bread from the region of Armenia, Turkey and Iran. A handful of ingredients and you have your healthy yummy crackers to nosh on. Though mostly All-purpose flour is used to make this, using whole wheat flour for the preparation stands to be the best option in terms of health.
These can be made either plain just with flour and salt, I preferred giving it a little twist by making it more flavorful by using herbs and chilli flakes. One of easiest baked crackers the can be made at home to relish on. Generally, these lavash are made into thin big sized breads, but you can also cut them into small size and shapes you prefer. If you want the lavash to be crispier, roll it uniform and as thin as possible. Sesame seeds and nigella seeds sprinkled on lavash gives it delicious earthy nutty flavour to it.These Lavash can be made in bulk and stored easily for a month in clean airtight container. you can enjoy these yummy crackers with any favourite dip of your choice.
Time taken: 90 minutes Servings: 6
– Whole wheat flour: 2 cups
– Salt: 1 teaspoon
– Dried parsley: ½ tablespoon
– Dried oregano: 1 teaspoon
– Red chili flakes: 1 teaspoon
– Warm water: 1 cup
– Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
For sprinkling: (Mix together the following)
– White sesame seeds: 2 teaspoons
– Nigella seeds: 1 teaspoon
– Black sesame seeds: 2 teaspoons
– In a KitchenAid Stand Mixer bowl, add flour, salt, parsley, oregano, chili flakes, olive oil and mix.
– Add 1 cup of warm water and knead into a smooth soft dough. Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for 20 mins.
– Pre heat the oven at 180 degrees centigrade.
– Divide the dough into 6 to 7 equal sized smooth balls.
– Take one ball, dust it with flour and roll it out into a thin disc of either oval or rectangular shape. Roll it out as thin as possible.
– Carefully spread the rolled out disk on KitchenAid Non-Stick Cookie Sheet or a baking sheet.
– Brush the top with little water and sprinkle the seed mix on the top.
– Bake for 10 to 12 mins or until light brown and crisp.
– Take it out and cool completely.
– Serve them with Hummus or with any other dip of your choice.