Savoury Bread Spirals are delicious low fat, whole wheat bread recipe spiked with Za’atar spice mix. These bread spirals make an excellent accompaniment with warm soup. They can be served for tea-time snack as well. We have substituted white flour with whole wheat flour to keep the calorie level minimum in the recipe.
Baking Time: 30 minutes Serves: 10 – 12 bread spirals
– Whole wheat flour: 500 gm
– Salt: 1 teaspoon
– Sugar: 1 teaspoon
– Active dry yeast: 7 gm
– Extra virgin olive oil: 6 tablespoons
– garlic powder: 2 teaspoons
– Za’atar spice mix: 4 tablespoons
– In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 300ml warm water, to make a soft dough. Knead using the Dough Hook Accessory of the KitchenAid Stand Mixer for 5 mins. Put the dough back in the cleaned out mixing bowl, then cover the bowl with oiled cling film. Leave to rise for an hr in a warm place until doubled in size.
– Meanwhile, make the filling. Combine together za’atar spice mix, salt, garlic powder and olive oil in a bowl and set aside.
– Heat oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Line a shallow baking tin about 30 x 20cm with non-stick paper. On a floured worktop, roll out the dough to a rectangle roughly 30 x 40cm. Spread the za’atar paste all over as shown in image. Roll up the dough like a Swiss roll.
– Cut the dough into 12 slices, then carefully lift each one into the tin, to make 4 rows of 3 swirl shapes as shown in the image.
– Lightly brush all over with the remaining olive oil. Loosely cover with cling film, then leave to rise for 20 mins or so, until slightly puffed up and filling the tin. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden, then leave to cool in the tin.
Serve Savory Bread Spiral with a bowl of warm soup.